Excerpted from p.221:
Most of us accept the challenge to effectively, wisely, and morally engage with life in this world with the expectation, at least the hope, that blessings will follow. A few accept the invitation to live their lives in this world as He directs and enables, with no stronger wish than to hold His Name high.
If we build on the first foundation, the flesh, our core passion will be for blessings, whichever ones we vale most. And our core experience, beneath whatever else we feel, will be pressure, the pressure to live a certain way to get the life we want.
If we build on the second foundation, the Spirit, our core passion will be for God, to know Him and honor Him in any circumstance. And our core experience will be freedom, the freedom to draw near to God across a bridge we neither constructed nor maintain. And in that freedom we’ll discover both the passion to live well and the wisdom to know what that means.
Living by the flesh…
- Core Passion: I live to be blessed.
- Core Experience: I must get it right so blessings come.
- Core Strategy: I will figure out what to do and do it.
- Core Hope: I expect good things to follow.
- Core Attitude: My will be done.
Living by the Spirit…
- Core Passion: I live to know Christ.
- Core Experience: I come to Him to celebrate His glory.
- Core Strategy: I will trust His provision.
- Core Hope: I expect to become like Jesus.
- Core Attitude: Thy will be done.